World Cup security guard dies after ‘fall’ while on duty at the Lusail Stadium


A Kenyan security guard who reportedly fell while on duty at Qatar’s Lucille Stadium has died in hospital, his family and officials have confirmed to CNN.

His employer told the migrant worker’s family on Saturday that 24-year-old John Njue Kibue fell from the 8th floor of the stadium while on duty, his sister Anne Wanjiru said.

“We don’t have the money to get justice for him, but we want to know what happened,” she told CNN.

A medical certificate obtained by CNN shows that he was admitted to the Intensive Care Unit (ICU) at Hamad General Hospital in Doha. The document says Njue suffered a “severe head injury, facial fractures and pelvic fractures.”

In a statement, the organizers of the World Cup – the Supreme Committee for Delivery and Legacy – announced Kibe’s death.

“We regret to announce that despite the efforts of his medical team, he sadly passed away in hospital on Tuesday, December 13, after being in the intensive care unit for three days,” the statement added.

“His relatives have been informed. We send our sincere condolences to his family, colleagues and friends at this difficult time. ”

John Njua Kibue at the Lusail Stadium.

Earlier this week, the committee announced that Kibue had suffered a serious fall while on duty.

“Qatar’s tournament organizers are investigating the circumstances leading to this case as a matter of urgency and will provide further information pending the outcome of the investigation,” it said in its statement.

“We will also ensure that his family receives all outstanding fees and monies owed.”

He had been unconscious since Saturday and was connected to a machine to help him breathe, his medical records showed. A family member was informed on Monday morning of his death.

But the security guard’s family said his Qatari employer, Al Sraiya Security Services, had not explained how he fell or any of the circumstances surrounding his death.

“We want justice. We want to know what caused his death. They never sent us a picture to show where he fell from or gave us any other information,” his sister Wanjiru told CNN.

CNN has contacted Al Sraiya Security Services for comment following the guard’s death and is yet to receive a response.

In a statement to CNN, the Kenyan embassy in Qatar said it was aware of the matter and “is taking necessary consular assistance while awaiting official communication from Qatar’s Supreme Committee and competent authorities.”

The guard’s family says he moved to Qatar last November for a contract with Al Sraiya Security Services.

A WhatsApp message seen by CNN was sent to his colleagues at other World Cup stadiums asking for contributions.

“He came here to support his family back home, but with bad luck, his dreams came to an end today,” it reads in part. – Let’s do something for our dear friend.

He is the second migrant worker to be reported dead since the tournament began in the Gulf nation after one was reportedly killed in an accident at a resort used by Saudi Arabia during the group stages.


Also Read :  A former NBA champion is changing 'how the world builds' to fight the climate crisis

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Related Articles

Back to top button